Immediately behind the Town Hall, is The Carriage House Hotel. The building was formerly a High School for girls during the early days of the last century.
Most of the ancient buildings in Wood Street have since been demolished and the sites rebuilt upon, however next to the Carriage House the two original cottages remain and are both covered by a Preservation order.
Along this road stood the Coffee Tavern, the town Post Office, The Yard, Workshop and residence of Frank Daniel Brazier - Wheelwright and Coach Builder, the residence of William W. Chamberlain - Mayor of the Borough in 1921 and founder of the local company that bears his name, and the site of the old Fire Station. All now sadly gone.
Other Items of Historical Interest »
Return to the introduction »