King John visited the town on 23rd July 1208, the two following years and again in 1212.
A Leper Hospital was built during the 13th century and was dedicated to St. James. Adam of Warwick was appointed Warden in 1238.
There were two additional crosses in the Town as well as the Market Cross and Wardeyn Cross. 'Stump' Cross occupied the entrance to the Town at the Northern approach, and 'Spittle' Cross at the Southern boundary, where tolls were collected.
The Walnut Tree at North End was recorded as the "Great Tree" in the 15th century.
The Baptist Chapel was built in the early 18th century and John Bunyan was a regular preacher.